Art, Design & Technology & Music
At St Margaret’s we aim to give opportunities for all pupils:
- To produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences
- To become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques
- To know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms
Art work is often incorporated into and enhances the topics the children are learning about in their day to day learning.
At St Margaret’s we aim to:
- Encourage awareness, enjoyment and appreciation of music in all its forms
- Develop imagination and creativity
- Foster positive attitudes toward music
- Offer opportunities to children of all abilities to perform, compose, listen and appraise
Children are taught to sing songs, play and perform a variety of tuned and untuned instruments and to create and appreciate different types of music throughout their time at St Margaret’s.
Design and Technology
Design and technology prepares children to take part in the development of a rapidly changing world. Creative thinking encourages children to become problem-solvers, both as individuals and as part of a team. It enables them to identify needs and opportunities and to respond by developing ideas, eventually making products and systems.
At St Margaret’s DT is taught through topic based activities to enable children to combine knowledge and understanding with designing and making skills to create a product for example a Roman Chariot or a castle with a working drawbridge. These skills enable them to develop an understanding of technological processes and their contribution to our society